Labor Day Weekend

Monday, September 4, 2017

Give me a long weekend anytime, or should I say any weekend!  I decided sorta at the last minute to do an adventure day.  I knew that while I have some big upcoming adventures planned, I couldn't not go on an adventure when I had been given this gift of a 3 day weekend.  I decided to go hiking at Landsford Canal State Park.  You may recall a previous blog post, Landsford, South Carolina, where I visited Landsford but there was more to explore which meant a second trip to Chester/Catawba.  I really love this area!  Traveling US 21 is just beautiful.  While I understand the need for the interstate and travel it often, there is a lot to be said about taking the 'back roads' (I may have just turned that into a country song).  Had I taken the interstate, I would have missed out on an adorable chapel, a cemetery, a Mary Boykin Chesnut historical sign (I know, that alone is worth taking the back roads 24/7), and a Civil War headquarters site.  

While traveling US 21 towards Chester, South Carolina, I came upon Ruff Chapel in Ridgeway.



Ruff Chapel is a Methodist chapel built in the 1870s.  The chapel was built during the Reconstruction Era by David Ruff.  There were several graves in the chapel cemetery of individuals from the Ruff family including David Ruff.

As my journey continued down US 21, I came across Old Purity Cemetery.  This cemetery was started in 1787. 
The iconography on many of the headstones in this cemetery are amazingly detailed.



The stone wall was too cool!  Through some research, I found that the wall was added to the cemetery in 1817 but was enlarged in 1872 as the cemetery continued to the grow.  It is through that same research that I learned that Purity Presbyterian Church was originally located beside the cemetery.  However, the church relocated (& is still active) to Chester leaving this cemetery in its current location and the cemetery now named Old Purity Cemetery.
 The wall enclosing the cemetery.

My journey continued to Chester, SC.  I had previously visited Chester, but learned from my friend Jane from Not So Plain Jane Blog, that while there on a work trip, she had come across a historical sign regarding Mary Boykin Chesnut.  I completely understand that I talk about Mary Boykin Chesnut ALL. THE. TIME.  If I had lived in the Age of MBC (that's an actual historical time period, correct?) I know that she and I would have been bff's 4 life (the kids are still saying that, yes?  no....geez I'm old).  Well, I knew  I had to (of course I had to!) have my picture taken with the sign and stand in another place that my girl Mary Boykin Chesnut had stood.

This is totally normal...

Landsford Canal State Park is a dream of a park.  A 50/50 mix of nature and history.  When I had previously visited this state park, I walked the nature trail, which was 1 of the 3 different trails offered.  The Canal trail takes along the ruins of the original canal and mill site that was used in the 1800s. It is 3 miles (round trip) and is a fairly easy walk/hike.
 The Catawba River.

 Meet red frog.

An impressive amount of Rocky Shoals Spider Lilies.  Their bloom time is estimated May/June.




I will more times than not stop for a historical marker.  I can say that I have yet to be disappointed when I've stopped for historical markers.  I mean it's just like the commercials I saw when I was a kiddo, "the more you learn, the more you know."
 If you're interested (why am I even asking, of course you're interested), in reading more about Sherman's March through the Carolinas you MUST (not yelling, promise) read Carnival of Destruction by Tom Elmore.  This book is everything!
That super cute building in the background is now Ridgeway's Town Hall.

What were everyone's Labor Day Weekend plans?  Any fun adventure days or road trip planned?

Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!