Touring Georgia

Sunday, February 18, 2018

I had been looking forward to Saturday all week (okay, that's every week but...)!  Due to the weather and other local events taking place, we had not been on the road regularly since last year and it was just way past time for me.  My parents accompanied us on this trip which is always fun.  We had been planning this trip to Georgia last year but due to one of the sites being closed for renovations, we had to reschedule the trip until this weekend.  I love hanging out with my parents and sharing my love of history with my Dad, who loves history even more than I do (I call him my local Civil War Historian...he's a genius!).

Our trip started at 7:30am...early I know but we like to make the most of our days so early it is!  To my extreme excitement, we had time to stop at the Georgia Welcome Center and browse the PAMPHLETS!!!!!!  I had gathered so many pamphlets that my mom offered to help me carry all of them!  I looked over at my Dad and he had a arm full of pamphlets as well.  Needless to say, this family loves to travel!!

Our first exploring site was the A. H. Stephens State Historic Site in Crawfordville, GA.  A. H. (Alexander Hamilton) Stephens was the Vice President of the Confederate States of America (Jefferson Davis being the President).  Stephens' Home, Liberty Hall, may be toured (guided tour) and includes many artifacts that are original to Stephens.

Liberty Hall (aka Bachelor's Hall)
 The bust in the corner is of A. H. Stephens and was a gift from one of his students.


Stephens' favorite (most comfortable) wheelchair.  He was 5 feet 7 inches and rarely weighed over 100 pounds.  There was an accident that crushed his hip leaving one of his legs an inch shorter than the other and leaving him often times in a wheelchair.

 Of course I was drawn to this...it's hair art.  I find hair art (& hair jewelry) fascinating!  Why isn't this something that is still done today?  It's beyond cool and an excellent way to keep a piece of your loved one with you after they have passed.
 I would love to read this booklet!

I like that this mosquito (fly or any other insect) net was on a bar in the middle of the bed instead of the more common ones you see where the net enclosing the entire bed.

 The carpets throughout the house were so bright and colorful!

A Sewing Bird aka A Grandmother's Hand.  This artifact was my favorite piece in the entire house!  It was used to hold fabric in place while the women were sewing.  I did a quick google search and some of the sewing birds have a pin cushion attached.  Again, my favorite artifact!
 This bed is located in the back room of Stephens' library (detached from the house).  It is where he was when he was arrested after the Civil War.
 The kitchen (detached from the house) included some artifacts that were new to me, like this one.  Any guesses?  It's a cherry pitter!
Pleater/Crimper Iron.
 
Slave Dwelling.
 After they were freed, they chose to stay with Stephens and work for him. This photo hangs over the fireplace in their home (former slave dwelling pictured above).



We finished our tour at the small museum on site.  Melanie, our tour guide, was extremely knowledgeable in the subject matter and such a kind lady.

By the end of the tour, it was time for lunch.  We ate lunch at Talk of the Town in Washington (so good!).  Our next stop was just a few blocks away so we decided to walk & I'm so glad we did because we saw...


We reached our destination:  Mary Willis Library
 Library, opened in 1889.
 The chest that is said to have contained 1/3 of the Confederate gold.

 Memorial window made by Tiffany Studios.
A cozy section of this adorable library.

Our last stop of the day was to the Robert Toombs State Historic Site.
Robert Toombs was the Secretary of State for the Confederate States of America.


 Upon arrival, we checked in and received booklets (to be returned after the tour) for our self-guided tour of the house.  After check in, we started the tour in a room in the lower level of the house where there were reader panels and then another room showing photos of restoration work.  After going through these room we went upstairs and toured the main parts of the house.  I would have enjoyed a guided tour to learn more information, but the booklet was nice and the house was beautiful!

Our day trip to Georgia was fun and we are gearing up again for some more travel in Georgia in the next few months!  Any recommendations of places to visit in Georgia?

Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!