A Little Trip to North Carolina

Monday, July 31, 2017

How exciting that in July in South Carolina, there was a 'cooler' day which meant I was finally able to have an adventure day!  I adore traveling & was beginning to go a little stir crazy hanging around town weekend after weekend.  Adventure was calling  & I jumped in the Adventure Buggy (aka my car) & hit the road!  Adventure day was to Charlotte, Pineville, and Waxhaw, North Carolina with a quick stop at the North Carolina welcome center.  I love a welcome center because it's a host of travel information & this Southern Girl and her suitcase as always looking for new places to explore.

First stop, the Billy Graham Library (Charlotte).  So I have been wanting to visit here since I first learned about it many years ago & I honestly have no idea why I never went until this weekend.  This place is wonderful!  A must see, spend a couple of hours (or more) kind of place.  I had no idea what awaited for me when I pulled into the parking lot of the Billy Graham Library.

I toured the Graham family home, the library and the grounds.  The family home was built in 1927 (for $9,000.00) and was originally located an estimated 4 miles from its current location.  Billy Graham grew up with his 3 siblings in this house.

 Love this wallpaper!
 Portrait of Billy Graham



After touring this beautiful home, I began my tour of the library.  Upon entering the library there is an introduction part (a talking cow & a short film).  After the film our tour group was directed into the somewhat self-guided individual rooms to tour.  Each room tells the story/history of Billy Graham's life and what an amazing life!
 The library.
 A beautiful lamp in the Ruth Bell Graham room (Footprints of a Pilgrim)
The Cross (by Thomas Kinkade).

Ruth Graham (wife of Billy Graham) is buried on the property and after learning so much about her during my tour of the house and library, I wanted to pay my respects.

"End of Construction - Thank you for your patience" was a construction sign Ruth Graham saw while going down the highway and stated that she wanted that saying on her tombstone.  While touring the library you learn that Ruth Graham had a great sense of humor which was reflected throughout her life and on her tombstone. 

The Billy Graham Library is a fantastic place to visit!  If you haven't been, I suggest making this what you do in the near future because it is truly a beautiful, inspiring, and very moving place.

After leaving Charlotte, I headed to Pineville, NC.  President James K. Polk was born in Pineville, N.C. and his birthplace is now a historic site where visitors can learn more about the life of President Polk.  There was a great museum dedicated to the life of President Polk and self-guided and guided tours of the outside portions of the site.




Adventure day came to an end in Waxhaw.  Waxhaw is an adorable town.  I stopped at one of the antique stores located in Waxhaw & purchased a beautiful vintage 1972 Hurricane lamp.  (Side note:  oh the 70s from the music to the pyrex, I can't help myself I LOVE it all so it's fitting that the 1972 hurricane lamp is 70s orange/brown/green floral.)  I definitely would like to return to Waxhaw to spend some time touring this adorable town. 

Waxhaw has a great museum which provides history of the area & Andrew Jackson who may (or may not) have been born in Waxhaw.  The Museum of the Waxhaws:  A History of the Region & Memorial to Andrew Jackson has amazing volunteers who love telling the history of the area.  At the museum there is an outdoor area with a living history section.  A wonderful volunteer told our group the history of living/farming over 200 years ago.  Our group was given a tour of the garden, learned about plants, toured the cabin, the blacksmith shop, the smokehouse, and the springhouse.  After a very enjoyable living history tour, I toured the museum.  The museum provides history of the area from 1650 to the 1900s.  The museum has some very fun upcoming events planned:  8/26 The Great Pirate Invasion, 10a-3p ($6 per person); 9/10 (will continue the 2nd Sunday of the month through November) Spinners & More; and 10/21 Historical Haunted Walk, 7p, 8p, & 9p ($6 per person).
 Lamb's Ear.  Grown/used 200+ years ago for toilet paper and bandages.  The leaves of this plant are extremely soft.  I stayed a little bit after the living history tour & museum visit to talk with the lady who ran the gift shop about growing lamb's ear.  I have tried & failed at growing it so she gave me some good pointers & I'm going to attempt growing lamb's ear again!
 Beautiful garden!


It was a great joy to be back on the road traveling, meeting new people, exploring new places, and learning new things.

Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!