A Lake, a Revolutionary War, and a Town Named Pauline

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Now that the weather (minus this week) has cooled off ever so slightly I've been able to jump in the adventure buggy (aka my car) & go go go!!!  This past adventure Saturday took me into the Upstate.  I honestly have not spent a lot of time touring the upstate & I found that 1. it's beautiful, 2. it's somewhat cooler than the concrete jungle where I reside, that's right I'm talking about you Columbia, and 3. there is some great Mexican food to be eaten (have we discussed my love of Mexican food, if not it's probably because I don't want to admit to everyone that I could eat Mexican food everyday & for serious talk I eat it at least twice a week (sometimes more, no judgment!)). 

First stop:  Croft State Park
I'm still on my journey of visiting every state park in South Carolina.  It's a great inexpensive way to travel the state.  Croft is beautiful.  Once I turned into the park entrance, paid my $2 entrance fee, and began my drive to the visitor center/gift shop/brochure central I could not get over the beauty that surrounded me.  Once I arrived at my destination, straight ahead was Lake Craig.  Lake Craig is breathtaking & it was even more so with the sun beaming down on one side and these huge dark storm clouds rolling in on the other side.




Croft covers 7,000 acres and has over 20 miles of biking, hiking, and horse trails.  Croft is definitely a great equestrian park!  And also a great place to camp as they have both primitive camping spots and camper spots.  I walked around for a little while and saw that they have boat, canoe, & kayak rentals as well.  If you haven't visited Croft get out your pen and paper and add it to the list.

Second Stop:  Pauline
I didn't realize that there was a town in South Carolina that had been named after my Grandmother.  Ok, so it's not really named after my Grandmother BUT had they known her they for sure would have named the town after her!  With that being said, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to visit Pauline, South Carolina so to Pauline I went.  It is definitely one of those towns/communities that if you blink you'll miss it (basically like where I grew up, here's looking at you Mars Bluff) which is why I went through the town twice to make sure I saw everything!


With the walking I had done at Croft State Park and the excitement of visiting Pauline, South Carolina, it was time for lunch.  Through Tripadvisor (one of my all time go to sites), I found Bronco's Mexican Restaurant located in Spartanburg.  Heavens to betsy was it yum to my tum!  In Spartanburg, give Bronco's a try....great food, great service, friendly staff, and clean restrooms!

Final stop:  Musgrove Mill State Historic Site
Musgrove Mill State Historic Site is located in Clinton.  A Revolutionary War site, Musgrove Mill was the site of the Battle of Musgrove Mill.  The education/visitor center has wonderful staff and many hands on items and reading panels that all provide visitors with information about the historic site.  A wonderful very informative lady was there to answer any questions regarding the site.  There are 2 easy hiking trails.  I hiked the British Encampment trail.  The trail, which is mostly in the woods, takes you all through the site of their encampment and down to the water (Enoree River) where the old grist mill was located (remnants of the mill can still be seen).  I stayed awhile enjoying the river before I continued my hike through the remaining encampment.  After I completed the British Encampment Trail, I drove to the next trail (you have to drive to it) mainly to see the water fall.  The water fall was beautiful.  I didn't walk down to the falls (there is access) due to many people making it their watering hole.  However, I was able to get a picture of the falls before leaving. 







Any recommendations of places to visit and/or eat in the Upstate?  Also, as I was writing this blog post & kept typing Croft and Musgrove, I kept picturing Jane Austen's Persuasion.  I may have started calling the Upstate, Uppercross...anyone else with me on that one?

Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!