Vacation Day 4: Niagara Falls & a Cemetery

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Does anyone else think of Marilyn Monroe when you hear Niagara Falls?  Is it just me????  (It can't be, right?)  I watched Marilyn Monroe in the film Niagara when I was younger (have you seen it?) and fell in love with Niagara Falls.  I immediately added Niagara Falls to my list of places to travel.  I have watched that film several (ok, fine! at least 50 times) times over the year and when the opportunity to travel to Niagara Falls presented itself, I very quickly said yes and started the countdown!  There is a slight (huge) chance that I watched the film again prior to leaving for vacation!  I mean, I had to prepare!  Well the falls did NOT disappoint!  The falls are massively impressive and the constant roar that they make, to me was their way of saying hello.  There are all types of places/gift shops to visit and many places to grab something to eat but I decided to skip all of that and just hang out anywhere I could see the falls.  I watched the falls for about an hour+ and was just in awe at this amazing creation.  Of course, I couldn't help but envision Marilyn Monroe's character, Rose, sneaking around with her boyfriend (while her husband was at the hotel) on the stairs of the Cave of the Winds and Polly seeing Rose with her boyfriend refusing to go any further on the stairs even though her husband was being pretty persisted.  Then when Rose's husband George was in the getaway boat with Polly.  It was fun for me to just sit, sometimes stand, there watching this wonder.  Needless to say, if you haven't been to Niagara Falls or seen the film Niagara, you should, you won't be disappointed.






After leaving the falls, I had some free time before my dinner plans with friends so of course I found a cemetery to visit.  Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo is probably the prettiest cemetery I have been to (so far).  Forest Lawn was founded in 1849 and was designed to resemble a park....rolling hills, beautiful landscape, wildlife, etc.  It is 269 acres and has almost 200,000 burials like President Millard Fillmore, Rick James, Fredrick A Cook, MD (discovered the North Pole), Alfred P. Southwick (inventor of the electric chair), and many more.
 I saw deer all throughout the cemetery.  They are so beautiful!



 President Millard Fillmore Memorial
 Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
 Firemen's Monument
 Blocher Memorial.  Below are pictures are the life-like figures that show a son on his deathbed with his parents by his side.  I have never seen anything like this before in all my cemetery exploring years.  Fascinating!

 



Red Jacket, Chief of a Tribe within the Seneca nation

After a couple of hours in the cemetery, I grabbed a quick taco from Might Taco.  Have you been?  Probably the best fast food taco I've eaten!  I had just enough time to get back to my hotel and get ready before my friends picked me up for dinner.  We ate at Pearl St. and it was quite tasty.  Great food, great company, and great conversation....it doesn't get any better than that!  After dinner we walked around Canalside.  I would have loved to stayed out a little later but the long drive from New York to Virginia the next morning meant getting some sleep so I was well rested for that looooonnnngggg drive.

Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!