Vacation Day 5: Winchester, VA

Friday, September 29, 2017

After an amazing stay and delicious breakfast at my hotel, I packed up the car and hit the road to continue my road trip.  The drive was extremely tiresome not to mention I was getting an education on toll booths on the PA Turnpike.  However, I think I mastered the PA Turnpike!  Anyway after that very long, boring interstate drive I finally arrived in Winchester, VA.  Oh to be back in Virginia just healed my soul (too much???).  My first stop in Winchester was to the Winchester-Frederick County Convention and Visitors Bureau.  You can never go wrong with a Welcome Center/Visitor Center...such a wealth of information.  The lady that was working was very nice and helpful.  She directed me to 2 small exhibit, 1 of which happened to include a piano that was played by Patsy Cline. 


She then shocked me by asking if I played the piano and if so then I could play on THE piano.  WHAT?!?!?!?!?  Could you say that again in my good ear?????  I was extremely nervous, not about playing and not about playing without music (one would think that after 32 years of playing the piano that I would have tons of music memorized....nope, I guess I need to start carrying my hymn book in my purse), but nervous about playing on the same piano that Patsy Cline had played on...seriously a musician's dream, well at least this musician's dream.   I thought it fitting since Thomas J. 'Stonewall' Jackson's headquarters were in Winchester and the other exhibit in the visitor center was about the Civil War that I play (as much as I could remember) the score to North and South.  You remember that television miniseries, right?  Orry Main played by Patrick Swayze....melt my 1861 Civil War loving heart!  Or  Brett yelling, "Momma, it's Billy".  Side note:  When I first received the sheet music to the film score, I called my parents, put them on speaker & played a game of 'Guess that Tune' and started playing North and South.  My mom said that she didn't know the tune as she was only able to hear bits and pieces due to our connection (sure, Mom) but as soon as I said "Momma, it's Billy" my mom knew exactly what I had been playing & I could hear my Dad laughing in the background.  To say that we have watched that miniseries a few times is an understatement.  Okay, back to my piano dayview in Winchester.  It was AMAZING!  Pictures were taken, autographs given (I kid)....


After a quick stop at my hotel, I was off for what promised to be some really great Mexican food (I could live off tacos, no judgment).  While on my way to dinner, I passed Shenandoah Memorial Park, the cemetery where Patsy Cline (aka Virginia Hensley) is buried.  I found her grave and felt an overwhelming sadness for her (1) because she had died so young and (2) because she just seems so far away from her loved ones (her parents are buried 'in' Winchester).


A bell tower was erected in the cemetery which was funded by Loretta Lynn and Dottie West.  I had read that every day at 6p, the bell tower plays hymns.  I arrived after 6p so I don't know if that information is correct but I think it's great if it actually takes place. 


So after visiting with Patsy, I drove the 7.846 seconds to

This place is OUT OF THIS WORLD!  Serious talk, I have contemplated moving to Winchester just so I can eat here on a weekly (let's get real, daily) basis.  I ate the Don Grato Burrito with marinated shredded beef.  Again, when can I move to Winchester?  The burrito was full of rice, beef, black beans (my reason for living), sour cream, and cheese.  After the first bite, I knew that this burrito was a gift from God.  I have never in all my Mexican food eating years tasted a better burrito.  I know that y'all probably think I've gone over the edge about this burrito but it was perfect!  Go to Taqueria Guadalajara, you won't be disappointed and you'll probably see me there!

Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!