History with a Side of Sweet Potato Crunch

Friday, October 27, 2017

Bright and early and on the road again!  This adventure day I'm headed to Clemson University to tour the John C. Calhoun residence, Fort Hill.  While I'm not a sports person (don't hold that against me!) I've been to Clemson University many times and the campus is BEAUTIFUL!  Have you been?  Even if you're not a sports fan (I say that with hopes that I'm not just a party of 1), take a stroll through this lovely campus, you won't regret it!

Clemson University was built around the Fort Hill (named for Fort Rutledge).  I enjoyed seeing the campus and Ft. Hill side by side!  The plantation originally started as a 4 room home to Rev. James McElhenny known as Clergy Hall (built 1803).  Once the Calhoun's moved in, Floride, Calhoun's wife (and first cousin once removed), began adding rooms.  She added an additional 10 rooms turning it into the plantation we see today.  John C. & Floride's daughter, Anna Maria, married Thomas Green Clemson.


  Master Bedroom.  The quilt on the bed was made by John C. and Floride's daughter, Cornelia.  The portrait over the bed is of Floride Calhoun.
 State Dining Room.
 Parlor.  Anna Marie and Thomas were married in this room.
 Parlor.  Portrait over the couch is of Anna Maria Calhoun Clemson.
 George Washington's chair.

Beautiful lamp located in an upstairs bedroom.

Upstairs Bedroom.

John C. was Vice President during the reign (too much?) of Andrew Jackson.  He had great political aspirations until Mr. & Mrs. Eaton.  Anyone remember the Petticoat Affair?  Short version:  Mr. & Mrs. Eaton were shunned by the women of their social circle (Floride Calhoun included) & not long after the first shunning (shunning is such a tragic word) their husbands followed suit.  The reason for the shunning was due to rumors/gossip about the Eaton's marriage (had they had an affair when Peggy was married?  had Peggy's husband killed himself when he found out?)  It was quiet the scandal (where is Olivia Pope when you need her?!)  BUT but but Andrew Jackson took sympathy on them & stood up in protest to the way they were being treated.  Martin van Buren (yes, that van Buren) saw this as a political move...."if I side with the Eaton's, President Jackson will see that I'm on their side and I'll get the corner office I always wanted," I put quotes because in my mind this is what took place when MVB pledged his allegiance to the Jackson/Eaton party of 3, now 4.  Anyway, John C. eventually resigns as VP.  John Eaton becomes the US Minister to Spain, and in 1837 MVB becomes President (see how well that worked out for him!).  Oh rumors/gossip, they'll get you every time!  OH and before I forget, after John Eaton dies, Peggy marries for a third and final time to a young (much much younger) artist who after several years runs off with not only ALL her money but also her granddaughter.  SCANDAL!  Side note:  I was talking about the Petticoat Affair during dinner with my people the other night and the looks I received from people who walked by....not sure why I received those looks as this is normal dinner conversation, right?

I am always looking for the hidden, back road, secret treasure to visit and boy did I hit the jackpot with Mac Smith's Country Store and Grill in Pendleton, SC.  This place is adorable, the people are extremely friendly, and it is seriously in the middle of nowhere.  I remember when my family moved from the 'city' to the 'country' and I was asked many many times (you know who you are) if we had to pump our own sunshine, well this is definitely that kind of place which makes it my kind of place. 




The absolute hands down BEST hamburger I've ever eaten!  And their sweet potato crunch, did you hear me? their SWEET POTATO CRUNCH!!!!!!  Apparently I've been eating sweet potato crunch my entire life but had never in my life heard it called crunch.  My grandmother made sweet potato soufflé for any holiday and it was amazing!  Pretty sure my love for all things sweet potatoes started with her soufflé.  Since my grandmother passed away, I've had some good sweet potato soufflé but never as good as hers until today!  Holy sweet potatoes was this stuff amazing!  There were pecans and oats and syrupy goodness and sweet potatoes served in this small side container that was I'm sure an early Christmas present from Mac Smith to me!  Hungry yet?  Wanna go to Mac's?  So in case you don't go to Mac's right after reading this you need to go as soon as possible!  You won't regret it!  I'm already planning what I'm going to order next time.  What am I even saying, it's going to be sweet potato crunch!

After an out-of-this world lunch, I began my journey to Ninety Six National Historic Site.  However, this wouldn't be an adventure day if I didn't see a sign to some other historical site and now I'm taking a detour.  Cokesbury College (Old Cokesbury and Masonic Female College) built in 1824.



Ok, back on the road to Ninety Six.  From what I've read no one really knows why the town is named Ninety Six.  Ninety Six is a cute small town with a very loved national historic site.  This national historic site is one of the best I've visited.  I visited a few months back but was short on time so I didn't get to explore the entire site.  This trip I had plenty of exploring time so I got to utilize the sites wonderful features.  A walking self-guided map, paved pathway, informative reading rails along the one mile path, silhouttes, and trail maps are features that make this Revolutionary War site a great place to visit.







Have y'all visited either the John C. Calhoun's Fort Hill or Ninety Six National Historic Site?  Sweet potatoes....love them/hate them?  Are you already planning your lunch date to Mac Smith's?

Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!