The Land of Stonewall

Sunday, October 15, 2017

I decided to end my last day of vacation by visiting Lexington, VA.  I have been visiting Lexington, VA since I was a kiddo.  It has always been a special place for me and my family.  I have often referred to it as my second home.  It is a great small town packed full of history:  Lee's Chapel, Thomas J. 'Stonewall' Jackson's House, Virginia Military Institute, Washington and Lee, and so many other places.

Upon arrival into Lexington, I headed straight for Virginia Military Institute.  Have you been?  A breathtaking campus!  Anytime I visit VMI, I always start with visiting the statue of Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (professor at VMI) and the Gospels (the cannons are named Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).  They were named the Gospel's by Confederate General Pendleton, father of Sandie Pendleton who was an officer in Jackson's staff during the Civil War.  As a side note (& book recommendation), the book Stonewall's Man:  Sandie Pendleton by WG Bean is a great read! 
I crossed the street to visit the chapel on VMI's campus. 

That mural!!!!  There is a very informative museum downstairs that has Jackson's horse, Little Sorrel, stuffed and on display.  After a quick walk around the campus, I headed for the cemetery to visit Sandie Pendleton and Thomas J. 'Stonewall' Jackson's graves.

 Sandie Pendleton's Grave.
 Thomas J. 'Stonewall' Jackson

This cemetery is beautiful!  By now I bet you've heard me describe many a cemetery as beautiful but honestly I don't know what other word to use for these historic cemeteries.
I stopped for a quick lunch at The Palms because when you visit Lexington, you eat at The Palms...well at least that's what my family always does.  I will always recommend their chili but this day I got the Haystack Burger and was not disappointed!  If you're in Lexington, eat at The Palms, tell them Amber sent you....they won't know who that is but I've always wanted to tell someone that...you're welcome!
Okay, so after a filling lunch I headed to Lee's Chapel.  After a nice walk along the campus of Washington and Lee, I entered Lee's Chapel. 
The chapel is simply beautiful!  Downstairs is a very informative museum, Robert E. Lee's grave (along with other Lee family members), and his office.  His office is said to be left exactly the way Lee left it before he passed away. 
 General and Mrs. Lee's graves.
 Lee's Office.

Exiting the chapel from the downstairs, I visited Traveler's grave.  Traveler was General Lee's horse and I adore the fact that he is buried within such close proximity to his riding mate.

I ended my visit to Lexington by touring the only house that Thomas J. 'Stonewall' Jackson ever owned.
Lovely house with a gorgeous garden!





I decided to try to cut some time off my upcoming drive to SC on Saturday, so I decided not to spend the night in Lexington but to drive to Wytheville, VA.  Wytheville is a cute small town (also the birthplace of Edith Wilson, President Wilson's 2nd wife) where I saw several groundhogs playing in an open green space.  Those groundhogs were adorable!

I returned back to SC on Saturday, excited, exhausted, and ready to go again.  Traveling is in my bones (thank you Dad & Mom).  I've been traveling since I was 6 years old and I can honestly say that my life is so much better for it!

Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!