Vacation Day 6: Patsy, Stonewall, & a Cavern

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Cool morning, leaves changing, light jacket, vacation, continental breakfast, ....maybe I can be a career traveler because how easily I got use to all of these things is a smidge ridiculous.  After another great continental breakfast (these hotels were on point when it came to their breakfast....I remember when continental breakfast was just cereal, milk, juice, and fruit).  I headed to Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters.  Seeing as I share a birthday with General Jackson, I feel justified in my love/adoration for him and the need to visit any historic site that is connected to him.  Anyway, I arrived a little early for the tour so I walk around the neighborhood for a few minutes and this place is just beautiful!  Winchester very quickly became one of my favorite places. 


The above-photos are of the Handley Library.

It was almost time for my tour of Stonewall's Headquarters, so I headed back.  Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters is run by Winchester Frederick County Historical Society.  My tour guide was extremely knowledgeable of the subject matter and gave a wonderful tour.  When Jackson was in Winchester, he was constantly surrounded by many people.  Everyone wanted to see the great Stonewall and they were constantly waiting for him in large mobs at his hotel, in the streets, and even at church.  He met Lewis Moore and he offered Jackson his house to set up his headquarters.  This was a great relief to Jackson as it gave him some much needed privacy.  In his headquarters, there are several of Jackson's items like his mirror, his prayer table, his prayer book to just name a few.  Mary Anna, Jackson's wife, visited him at his headquarters in Winchester and commented that the mirror that Jackson hung, he had, again, hung to high (he was much taller than Mary Anna)...I thought that comment was really cute because he wanted everything to be really nice when she arrived.

One of the rooms has very beautiful wallpaper that appears to change colors depending on where you are standing in the room.  Jackson made a comment in a letter to his wife about the changing color wallpaper.  When restoration work was being done on the house, a descendant of Lewis Moore, Mary Tyler Moore (yes that Mary Tyler Moore) visited the house and funded the wallpaper expense.    They were able to find a company that could replicate the wallpaper to almost an exact match to the original.  Mary Tyler Moore, would continue to send funds to the house each year on her birthday.



Before leaving Winchester (sad), I stopped by Patsy Cline's house for a tour.  Her house is an adorable white house on Kent St.  Patsy was born in Winchester, VA in 1932.  The house is owned by Celebrating Patsy Cline Inc., and they hold a Patsy Cline Music Festival each year.






After leaving Winchester, I was Luray, Virginia bound.  Upon arrival in Luray, I headed straight for Luray Caverns. 




Luray Caverns is breathtaking and a beauty like none I've seen before...am I right?
 Wishing Well.
Fried Eggs.

Since I was really close to an entrance of the Shenandoah National Park, I decided that it would be fun to actually stay in the park.  I stayed at Skyland Resort in the park and I am so glad that I did!  There is a delicious restaurant, grab-n-go place, and a gift shop on site.  I saw rabbits, deer, bear, and birds.  The birds were constantly singing, which I would be too if that was my home.  The views were amazing.  My cabin had a view of the mountain and the town below so at night sitting on the porch, I heard all the night critter sounds and saw the twinkly lights from the town below. 



Happy Travels,
Amber

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!